Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I am grateful for Chutney



In the flavor of Oprah’s favorite things, I’ve been thinking of my favorite things this holiday season.  Many of my favorite things aren’t actual things so it’s morphed into a gratitude list.

During this holiday season I’ve been grateful for…

Real emotions 
People are more anxious and/or down during the holidays.  I am not grateful for this fact, but I am grateful that people are more expressive about it.  It all just feels normal to me and I believe we are better able to support each other when we get real.

Charity night
Each of us donated a little something to a charity that was meaningful to us.  My daughter “adopted” a blue whale, my husband became “a friend” of the Yuba River, my son preserved a part of the Sierras and I provided two teddy bears to grieving children.  I am grateful for resources to do this.

The Great Laundry Treaty of 2013
My husband agreed to take over the laundry for the month of December because there is more on my plate this time of year.  So grateful for this new tradition.

Love Actually
The hubs and I had an impromptu date on the couch with a bowl of very buttery and salted popcorn.  I rarely sit for a movie at home, and rarely want to share from the same bowl of popcorn, so it felt special.

Waking up early
When I do, I light the Christmas tree while it’s still dark outside and quiet inside.

Gingerbread tiles from Rustic Bakery
I had a moment of deep gratitude when I realized I’ve been friends with certain people long enough to have our own holiday traditions.  One of these traditions involves delicious gingerbread tile cookies that are baked for Christmastime at our favorite bakery.  In the same way that some people get excited about the Pumpkin Spice latte, we get excited about gingerbread tiles. 

Starting a blog
I am grateful to express and learn about myself this way.

Sparkling Yerba Mate
This drink has magical powers and makes me really happy and productive!

My kid’s holiday concerts
These endearing concerts take place in a dingy public school gymnasium.  The focus is on the students and their music NOT how amazing the parents are at decorating, hosting and fundraising.  The real beauty, spirit and talent shines on the students brightly, just the way it should.

Chutney
Many, many years ago my newborn was in the hospital close to Christmas, in fact we were released on the 23rd.  A friend of mine did the nicest, and most random thing.  I think of it every single year.  She left chutney, cream cheese and crackers at my doorstep with a note saying something like, “This is in case you want to bring something to a get together.”  Of course no one was expecting us to bring anything to a gathering, we were just surviving and certainly not worried about performance, but this little unique offering somehow made life feel normal.  I brought the chutney and my healing baby to the family gathering.  It was all a beautiful gift.

to be continued.....









2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your writing is really great. Real is the word I take away from this one. I'm looking forward to xmas too and this feels very holiday in a poetic way. Xoxo

Melissa Perry said...

Thanks Ry! xo